Saturday, January 21, 2012

How To Use This Guide

So you want to run ultramarathons, huh?  Well, I have some good news and some bad news. 

The good news: you can do it!  I'm going to spend a significant amount of time convincing you based on one simple principle.  If I can do it, YOU can do it!  When you see pictures of me, that point should become abundantly clear. 

The bad news: You chose this book as your guide.

Okay, so it's not THAT bad.  Unless you like science-based training guides written by degree-holding experts with a wall full of race trophies.  In that case, you may be wasting your money.

You see, I'm not going to bore you with nonsense like statistics and data.  I'm not going to overload your mind with fancy technical terms, graphs, or medical advice.  I'm going to help you learn about ultras they way so many of us learn in college: 

Watching our friends make stupid, embarrassing mistakes, then do the exact opposite.

Over the years, I've read about ultras extensively.  The goal was simple- do the best I could with as little effort as possible using every shortcut I could find.  That involved a lot of self-experimentation.  Some ideas were great.  Some were disastrous.  Some left scars.  The experimentation has allowed me (a mediocre runner with limited athletic ability) to finish multiple 100 mile races.  I even managed to finish one under 24 hours.

This book will be best used as a supplement to your training plan, not as a training plan itself.  I won't give you direct "this will work" answers, because I believe we're all an experiment of one.  I WILL give you a ton of information about the tiniest of details of running ultras- from food choice to the art of pooping in the woods. 

New or aspiring ultrarunners- you will learn a lot from my experiences.  Veteran ultrarunners, you will laugh at my stupidity, stubbornness, and apparent inability to learn from my mistakes.

At any rate, enjoy the ride!

###

1 comment:

  1. I have a quick question. You mentioned that this book will help an "average" runner run an ultra. How do you define average? I'm guessing that, coming from an ultra runner, "average" means someone who runs marathons.

    I'm not even there yet. Never in my life have I ever run regularly until these last few months. I don't expect to run an ultra anytime soon. However, that is my goal, and I'll probably read your book long before I get there.

    I'm just curious if it assumes you've already run a marathon. I so, I understand and I hope to have run one before it's published.

    ReplyDelete